Thursday, June 27, 2024

The two best British Columbia gins

The province of British Columbia in Canada where I live has restrictions on alcohol sales. There are a few independent liquor stores, but most sales are done from government owned stores. Taxes are high, which seems reasonable to me, but selection is limited, which I find frustrating. Even independent stores can only sell what the BC liquor board decides to bring in. In part a response to this, a number of local breweries and distilleries have started up in the last two decades. There are a couple that make really nice gin. I am a fan of strong botanicals (more is more!) and so my picks for the best two gins are Liberty Distillery Old Tom Endeavour Gin and Seaside Gin from Sheringham Distillery. They are different enough in flavour that I cannot rank them head on. 


If you like a less botanical, more London Dry style, then the local Victoria or Empress Gin or Phrog Gin are worth a try. Leaving British Columbia, some other gins that I have really liked are:

  • No. 209 from San Francisco (my previous favourite but I have not had it in a while). 
  • Uncle Val's Botanical Gin
  • Saffron Gin (mainly for the colour)
  • Hendrick's (readily available almost everywhere) 
  • Red Cedar Spirits Gin (blue label, licorice flavour) 


No comments:

Post a Comment