Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Brian's Culinary Finds in Spain

I have eaten well here, in restaurants and also my own cooking. I have made dinner for myself more often than I would have otherwise because the locals eat meals so late. The few times I have gone out to dinner in a group, it was 8:30 cocktails and 10:00 or so before we ate. That's late for me and it doesn't feel healthy, although I am sure I'd figure out how to make it work if I were here in the long term (the locals do and are a pretty slim and healthy bunch).

I am not going to talk about specific dishes here (like paella) but list the top 5 basic ingredients I "discovered" while here.

1. "Queso Tierno". Queso is Spanish for cheese and for a long time I thought Tierno was a kind of cheese but it is a more general descriptor that means "soft" or "tender". This is a kind of soft, unripe cheese that is really good.

2. Anchovies. Well, loads of people like anchovies but I never did before coming here. Mild anchovies served whole in appetizers, stronger ones minced in any kind of sauce or even an omelette. Beauty!

3. Gaspacho soup. I have had this before, but here you find loads of kinds in every supermarket sold in milk cartons. A great way to get vegetables into your system with no preparation work!


4. Persimmons. This has got to be one of the world's most perfect fruits. They grow them locally and you can get them ripe in the stores. It is like a cross between a mango and an apple. Talking with other people I hear they don't travel well, which is maybe why I never heard them described in glowing terms before. 

5. Red wine. Loads of it, very nice and not expensive. Look at that one below, from La Mancha with a windmill picture on it. I had to get that one, although it wasn't the best...



I also had some gin while I as here. Cheap spanish gin on the left below ($10 a litre and not bad at all) and some fancier gin from France. 



And a couple of things below that have nothing to do with Spain. I learned to make a French style omelette while I was here (I have a cast iron omelette pan at home that is more Italian style). Also, some of the best cidre I have ever had while visiting my friend in London last weekend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment