Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Garden Improvements

I have fallen behind with my blogs, but a few weeks ago my friend, Trent, and I undertook the major Summer gardening task of removing the last section of cedar hedge in the yard. They used to be all around the back yard, taking out about 5 feet on all sides of yard space. Cedar hedges are not trivial to maintain and these had been neglected, by the previous owners as well as us. The yard feels a lot bigger with them finally gone.  


Nothing left but the stumps to remove. My aim is to do one a week and they'll be cleared out by Spring. 


This back garden used to be a fenced in dog area, with cedar hedges all around. I found those ancient roses back there and on the right is now our herb garden (chives, oregano, sage, lemon thyme, and mint) as well as some of the hardy irises that spread like crazy that we have from the place we rented 20 years ago. 


On the East side, which was also taken up by cedar hedge removed a few years ago, we have some vegetable beds. This year it is garlic, blueberries (but you won's survive on the number of these we get), tomatoes, yellow squash and beans. The small one on the right was put in by my son and his girlfriend. 



No comments:

Post a Comment