Thursday, June 14, 2018

Short visit in Hong Kong before crossing the border

I have been in Hong Kong for the last few days, visiting Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. A former colleague from UBC, Dong Li, moved here last year. We still have a joint PhD student at UBC so it was a chance to talk about his project and then we moved on to other things we might do together. I reminded him of a problem (the Oxygen Depletion Problem) that I tried to interest him in before. I had worked with some others on computational methods for this problem and related ones but there are analysis questions about the character of solutions that he and our student might be able to answer. We will see if it stays on his radar this time.

The campus is on the outskirts of the city, on a hill. The campus is quite attractive and the views are great. I enjoyed my short stay here, as I worked to get over jet lag. I stayed in the University Lodge.

   


It could be my last blog post for a while. My next stop is across the border in Shenzhen, where I will be at the South University of Science and Technology for a month, beginning my sabbatical year. In China, I will be behind the Great FireWall, which blocks google pages, including this blog site. It is possible that my UBC VPN will get me past the Wall... I will see later today when I settle in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment