Sunday, September 2, 2018

Celebration of Life of Dorothy Robinson, formerly Saunders, née Jackson

My stepmother, Dorothy Robinson, died recently at 93 years old. She had suffered from dementia for a number of years. My father had been looking after her at home until just a few months ago when she moved into a care home. My father experienced real grief through the end of her life as he watched the woman he loved disappear, so the grief at her death was still present, but softened somewhat by that prepayment.

Dorothy (Dot) spent most of her childhood and early adult life in the Lakes District of BC (between Prince George and Prince Rupert). It was not an easy life but she was never daunted by the need for hard work. Her life, and her relationship with my father which began when her two children had grown up, are both interesting stories but not mine to tell. I first met her when I was around eight years old and, as part of the joint custody that my mother and father had of me, I spent many holidays with my Dad and Dot over the years. Having recently divorced myself and found a new romance, I appreciate now how generous Dot was accepting me as part of their lives almost every day of vacation my father had. She never showed resentment at having me around, in fact I think she grew to love me. I regret it is too late to thank her for her part in raising me -- I know I was ungrateful at the time, like many boys.

Of her many quotable remarks the one I still enjoy the most is "I will never have a fiftieth wedding anniversary, but I have had two twenty fives".

The celebration of her life took place at Babine Lake, where the family have a rustic cabin that Dot's son, John, now owns. I drove up to Kamloops and spent the night with my father there, then we drove up together to Prince George and stayed at the house of Gloria (Dot's daughter) and her husband, William. My father, at 91, is still a very capable highway driver. The next day William drove us all to Babine, where many of Dot's family (including a number of great-grandchildren) had assembled. I like the family a lot, although we don't see each other very often. It was especially nice to have a chance to catch up with Lisa, Gloria's elder daughter, who is my step-niece but only a couple of years younger than me. A few words were said, and ashes scattered. It was a simple event, all about family, that I think Dot would have liked.

  

Above left are a bunch of the family, with my Dad centre right in the background, and on the right are William and his grandson (Dot's great-grandson) also William. Below are Gloria and John. They are my step-siblings although they are quite a few years older than me. We didn't grow up together at all, so I have never really thought of them as siblings although once when I was applying for Canadian government security clearance I needed to list them. I do like them and enjoy their company. 


A bonus to the trip was the chance to see Babine Lake and the family cabin again. I had spent a lot of time there are a kid and into the early years of my own children. It is a beautiful area. 



No comments:

Post a Comment