Saturday, April 13, 2019

Visiting my father

I have settled into a pattern of driving up to Kamloops every few months to visit my father. He is now 92, still mentally and physically sharp, driving, and living on his own. He lives in a large town house on one of the side hills of the city, in the Aberdeen neighbourhood. He knows he would be better off living in a retirement home, but there are some repairs to the foundation of the house that he wants to see through so that it can be sold and his wife's estate settled. Because of this, he is in a bit of a holding pattern.

Anyway, I come up and keep him company for a few days when I visit. I am not much use to him. He has a son in law that also visits periodically with every handy skill that there is. My big skill -- Mathematics -- has less practical use. We talk, I usually order in one meal (pizza this time) but for the rest he cooks for me. I am getting pancakes for breakfast today before I start the drive home. We go for his usual walk down by the River. He keeps a pretty fast pace. We have a drink at 5pm, then watch some TV together, a mix of sports (golf this time), news, and movies. I picked a movie for us this time (Ex Machina) that he didn't like much, nor the TV series that I tried to interest him in (Travellers).

There are stairs in the complex that lead up the hill to a short walking trail in a neighbourhood with fancy houses with great views. I took this picture up there, the view only slightly better than what my father has in his place.

No comments:

Post a Comment