Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Exciting East Lansing 2022

I just came back from a four week research trip to Michigan State University in East Lansing. If you know me or have read past posts of my blog, you know that I have visited there many times in the past. I have a long time collaborator and friend there, Keith Promislow. We have worked on a number of projects together. This year, we continued with our interest in sea ice modelling with two projects identified. One is the mathematical structure of macroscopic models of sea ice and their computational simulation. It turns out that even simplified models have complex mathematical structure. There is interesting behaviour where a moving boundary changes between implicit and explicit type. This work is a first step towards a more comprehensive, three dimensional computational model. The other sea ice project is a geometric one on the shape of brine inclusions. I brought a problem for Keith involving mathematical analysis of a structure from Machine Learning. 

I was in a long stay hotel as I have been for the last few visits. Also as usual, I rented a bicycle to get around. This time, I was able to try the scooters they have for rent on campus. I was keen to try these out, but they are not as fun as I thought they would be. You feel every little bump in the road with those small tires. 



The campus is quite beautiful and were some other interesting things to see this trip 





To keep myself out of trouble evenings and weekends there was the fancy movie theatre (Cinema C) at the local mall. As usual, the choice of movies of my taste was limited. I went for action movies: Thor (Love and Thunder) and Bullet Train. I cannot really recommend either, but the movie experience was enjoyable. I continued my paper mache hobby with some bowls and a jewelry holder. 



I reciprocated dinner invitations by hosting gin & tonic Monday happy hours. The group was very enjoyable, I wish they all lived in Vancouver. My only complaint about them was that at some point they refused to take more paper mache bowls... 






No comments:

Post a Comment