Friday, October 16, 2015

Music Streaming Services

I have been interested in trying out music streaming services. I was especially interested in the curated playlists by genre, to be able to get expert input on new music or genres new to me. I have had a number of good tips from the alt rock selections on Air Canada's entertainment system, but I have pretty limited access to that.

As well as the curated play lists, I wanted to be able to make (and share) my own playlists and download selections for offline listening. I didn't want to be forced to listen to something (some of the services have fixed playlists that you can skip songs in only a limited number of times). With these requirements it seemed like a paid service was needed. Google Music and Apple Music, both for $10/month, do everything I want. It is also possible to upload your own music to the cloud and access it on any device, although you can't share these songs on playlists.

I am on the free trial for both of these services, but like Google Music a bit better so far. I think the interface (through chrome on computers) is just a little nicer. I will check out Apple Music more closely, though, since I am wedded to Apple devices and iTunes.

Here are a couple of playlists I made of music that was new to me that I learned about through Google's curated playlists (which they call radio stations). Let me know what you think.

Google Dozen #1
Google Dozen #2

No comments:

Post a Comment