Saturday, October 17, 2015

Recommendation: Jean-Michel Jarre's new album, Electronica 1: The Time Machine

I have been a bin fan of Jarre ever since his first album, Oxygene (1976). That is a brilliant piece of electronic music, done on primitive machines that still holds up today. I followed him for a few albums in those old days, but they went in a direction that did not interest me so much. A few years ago, I acquired his entire (large) discography and found some real gems in his later works. When I heard he had a new album out, I had to check it out. I don't have to buy it, or "acquire" it, since I have access to it through Google Music that I am subscribing to. There are some great tracks, including the title track, "Trevelator Pt 2", and "Rely on Me", which is a collaboration with the performance artist, Laurie Anderson. I recognized her voice from some great tracks on his old album, Je Me Souviens.

As an album, it is not as great as some of his previous ones, since it does not have the uniform vision. It is a collection of collaborations, each with a different artist, and was several years in the making. Still, it is worth a listen!  

No comments:

Post a Comment