Saturday, April 30, 2016

Alternatives to Lost

"Lost" was a network TV show from a few years ago. I watched some of the early seasons and apparently it was critically acclaimed for its entire run, but I was not impressed. It really seemed that the writers had no clue where they were going, and it was just one mystery after another with nothing ever explained. There is no way I could go back and re-watch the entire series just to see whether I hadn't given it a fair chance.

If you like that genre, there are a couple of things you could check out. I should say I haven't finished them (and one is not yet complete) so these are only preliminary recommendations.

  • Area X: the Southern Reach Trilogy, by Jeff VanderMeer. I read the first book, "Area X", which is like a precis "Lost" in novella form. Well written and clearly Jeff had a plan the whole way. Satisfying but ambiguous ending. My daughter gave me this for Christmas. 
  • The Lost Village: is an anime, currently being shown. It is available dubbed on Crunchyroll (a monthly subscription Japanese and Korean media site). So far, it is pretty interesting with the same basic concept of Lost. I should probably not recommend it, since Lost was pretty interesting at the beginning and just lost it's way. Still, anime series are often short and wrap up in a satisfying way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment