Saturday, May 7, 2016

Back in exciting East Lansing, Michigan

I am back in East Lansing, visiting Keith Promislow at Michigan State University. It is pretty familiar as this is the fifth or sixth visit I have made here for a month in the Spring. I guess I visited Keith before that on shorter visits. I don't remember much from those visits and I know I didn't try and settle in.

I am here earlier than usual this year, so the geese on the river have younger offspring:



I am am here so early that the term had not quite ended, so I am in a temporary dorm room for a few days before the apartment I will be in for the rest of the visit opens up. That apartment is in a women's only (during the main terms) dorm and they realized at some point I just wouldn't fit in. So, I am in a glorified prison cell, with internet, a bar fridge and a microwave for a few more days. I am adaptable, so this is working out fine. I make sure to eat a big lunch out and have a few simple things in the bar fridge for other meals. The only "hardship" is not having coffee on my own first thing when I get up. 

I have rented a bike, taken out a membership at the local gym I go to when I am here, shopped for some gin and some cables to get connected to the internet in my cell, started something new with Keith and worked out a few things on a project I brought with me (that I am scheduled to speak about in a workshop coming up soon). So, settling in like it is a routine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment