Monday, May 29, 2017

Hong Kong/Shenzhen Trip I

I am in Hong Kong for a couple of weeks in the middle of the trip. It is a work thing, with a conference in Hong Kong that starts on Wednesday. There was an opportunity to visit the new South University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) across border nearby in Shenzhen, and that is what brought me over last week. SUSTech is well funded and looking for international collaboration: they have an arrangement with UBC Engineering on joint supervision of graduate students. I was in Hong Kong for one night, staying at the Best Western Grand Hotel. The rooms are quite small, with a foot and a half perimeter around the bed, no chair no desk. I am learning to type on my laptop while sitting in bed. Great view, though:


Yes, that is bamboo they are using for scaffolding 27 floors up. The next day I went off to Shenzhen. They sent a driver to pick me up at the Hong Kong Hotel and that was the start of pretty serious hosting: all my meals were provided with company, including a banquet after my talk; my accommodations on campus were paid for (and the room was spacious with not only two chairs and a desk but even a small sofa); the next day a whole group took me to the Shenzhen Museum, picture below:



While at the museum I was approached by a couple with their camera. I thought at first they wanted me to take their picture together, but in fact the husband wanted to take a picture of me with his wife. I hope it had a simple explanation, like that I was the first Caucasian person they had seen in person, and not that I am now financially responsible for their children. 

The hospitality was great but a bit intimidating. If it is a contest, they will win for sure. There is no way I can manage to host in a similar way if they come to UBC. Someone I talked to about this said that part of it is that we can expect them to know English and so it is easier for them to get around on their own. Clearly not fair, but I did get the benefit of it this trip. 

A driver took me back across the border, not all the way back to my hotel but to the border crossing and I took the train onwards from there. It was manageable, but it sure made me glad not to have had to make it all the way to SUSTech on my own. I am back in the Best Western Grand, with a new view waiting for the workshop to start, doing a little touristing during the day and catching up on work e-mail at night. 


If I die here it will probably be an elevator accident in the hotel. I would ask that everyone I love please try to get along at the funeral, play my funeral play-list, and drink copiously at the expense of my estate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment