Saturday, August 5, 2017

Lansing Airport, NYC subway, and Graffiti

So there is no graffiti here at the Lansing airport. But, there is a business centre with free internet and coffee, comfortable chairs and desks. The free internet is allowing me to post this blog and listen to a progressive rock playlist on 8tracks (by Canibal_NoFM, pretty good so far). The airport is really pleasant. There was no line up and six security people just for me at the screening. The only trouble is you can basically only fly to Detroit and Chicago (oh -- I looked it up and DC and Minneapolis are also destinations). I usually fly through Detroit and take the bus to exciting East Lansing, where I visit a colleague at Michigan State University every year for several weeks. The connections were just better to Lansing this year. One of the only other two times I have been here before, my flight (in the tiny propeller plane) was delayed overnight due to thunderstorms. Today looks clear - keep your fingers crossed.

So the graffiti is on MSU campus, in a pedestrian underpass by the river.




I know some people find graffiti like that upsetting and threatening. I find it really creative and beautiful. This example reminded me of the graffiti'd subway cars I saw in NYC when I was a student there 88-91. At that time they were upgrading the subway system and removing graffiti. However much I like graffiti, I get that, since many people regard it as anarchistic, it encourages vandalism and criminal behaviour. I had been there a year and was used to the professional, clean subway cars and then one day one of the last old trains covered with graffiti showed up. I was blown away. I don't have a picture of the one I saw, but below is one I found online from around that time. 


Note the World Trade Centre in the background. That dates the NYC skyline...


No comments:

Post a Comment