Friday, January 30, 2015

Best Gin

I always liked gin. Gin and tonic with a slice of lime is a good cure for malaria and scurvy and it tastes great. A few years ago a friend of mine brought over a bottle of Hendrick's gin. It is about twice as expensive as regular gin, and I thought, "what is the worst thing that can happen? I think this gin is really much better than average and I am paying twice as much for gin for the rest of my life". Well, that came to pass and I acquired a taste for high quality gin. I tried various new gins - there is a wide variety of botanical flavours to them. I went to a gin tasting event at Liberty Liquor (I recommend it) in the Olympic Village area. At the event, the 10 gins on trial were in glasses with only numbers. After #2, I kept thinking, I hope #2 is cheap - but it was the most expensive one. No. 209 gin from San Francisco, still the best gin I have ever had. I have recently found a close second, Uncle Val's. Hendrick's is still on my list, but now a middle ranked gin but not that expensive and readily available. If you are going to get an ordinary gin for G&Ts, my advice is to get the cheapest one you can find. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment