Saturday, January 17, 2015

Gai-Lan is the most perfect vegetable

There are standard European vegetables that I grew up with (carrots, spinach, celery, beans, lettuce, cucumber...) and the North American natives of potatoes and tomatoes. When I say European, I guess I mean Northern Europe (I am of mostly UK heritage with one Finnish grandmother). Beauties like Rapini which is well known in Southern Europe I didn't try until adulthood. We found it first in Toronto living near College and Dufferin (originally a Portuguese-Canadian neighbourhood). Rapini is a cross between broccoli and spinach, slightly bitter. Something quite similar, not quite so bitter, is an Asian vegetable, gai-lan. This is a fantastic vegetable to cook with. Great taste and very versatile. I made two of three stir fry dishes tonight for the family for dinner with it: it is widely available in Vancouver. Try it out! I am honestly not receiving any endorsements from local gai-lan growers. Let me end with a picture of my old steel wok. My wife bought this for me when we were students in New York City. I enjoy stir-frying, but have not had any real training in it and it is not my family heritage. I can say that it just doesn't work that well on an electric stove. I miss cooking with gas.


No comments:

Post a Comment