Friday, June 10, 2016

Toronto experience June 2016

I have visited Toronto many times over the years for work, and even lived here for a year 92-93. People from the West of Canada have a knee-jerk negative reaction to Toronto. I think there is some jealousy mixed in with some more honest reaction to the smug superiority that many TO residents have. Being here this last week, though, I am reminded of how interesting a city it is. I could see myself living here without hardship. Part of it could just be that I have found restaurants I really like (both the food and the vibe). I am in the Holiday Inn just North of the UofT campus on Bloor. I found Daddyo's Salad and Pasta restaurant just South of here on Spadina:


Inside is exactly as you imagine looking at the outside. It has pasta, salad, and wine. What more could you want? Just a few blocks away on Bloor just West of Spadina is Greg's Ice Cream, with really high quality stock. I have had chocolate (I always try out a new place with a "basic" flavour) and last night after pasta I had star anise ice cream - excellent. 

The conference ended a day early. It was billed as Monday-Friday but when the schedule appeared it ended on Thursday. Maybe this was a clever plan to trick people into not leaving before the last session. Anyway, today was a "free" day in TO. I walked around my old haunts here, after going to breakfast at Over Easy. Another great place, helped that I was sitting outside on the patio on a great day, with time on my hands. 


I could live in this neighbourhood happily, but my plans to lose weight would have to be abandoned. Saw a high rise building I liked the look of:



No comments:

Post a Comment