Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Airmiles suck, but I used some to get new pots I like

I have a credit card that generates Airmiles, a reward programme with points that you could originally use to get flights and selected merchandise. They have changed the programme to give two types of miles: one with the old use, and a new type that you could use as cash but only at selected merchants. You can select the ratio of points you earn into the two streams. They are not transferable and all the old miles you have are almost worthless, as I describe below.

Flight availability was always terrible. I checked recently on where I could go with my old miles and found out that it allowed me no options for places I wanted to go to at times when I could travel. Nothing new here. I used to use the miles on merchandise. Really, I used them for things I thought were interesting but that I couldn't justify spending money on: the propane lantern for the back yard, the camping gear for the camping trips we never did, the table saw, etc. You could get pretty good electronic equipment from the programme. When I looked recently, there was almost nothing interesting to spend the mass of old points we had accumulated over the years. I finally found a set of pots (picture below) and some cutlery (which has not yet arrived) which I ordered to drain most of these points away. These are useful as I just moved and needed new pots. I have cutlery from the dollar store (and some generous friends) but will be happy to upgrade when the new stuff arrives.

The pots are quite nice. They have copper exterior, but I understand that is basically for show and the cooking surfaces are stainless steel. I used to have a perfect pot for making popcorn but I made some last night in the new pots and it went fine, actually quite entertaining to watch it through the glass lid.

Going back to airmiles: I recommend against it. There are reward programmes that are basically cash back that seem like a better idea. With cash, you can get whatever you want!



No comments:

Post a Comment