Monday, January 23, 2017

Visit to my father in Kamloops

The weekend before last I flew up to Kamloops to see my father, who turned 90 the week before. He is still in good shape mentally and physically. I phone him every week, but it has been difficult to see him in person. Most of his energy goes to looking after my stepmother, who has lost her short term memory.  There were a few years where she became unsettled whenever I visited, which made it unpleasant for all of us. I got some good advice that things may have changed in recent years and talked with my father who agreed it was worth attempting a visit, which went well. It was great to see my father and my stepmother was quite warm to me. She and my father lived together from the time I was around 8 years old. I lived with my mother but spent all vacations with my father and his wife. As a kid I never realized how supportive she must have been to make this happen. I think it would have been more natural if she had been uninterested in raising another child, after having seen her own into adulthood. Another kindness I had as a child that I did not appreciate!

 
I guess I get my fashion sense from my father. They have a fantastic view from their place!


No comments:

Post a Comment