Saturday, December 17, 2016

Ireland work trip

Last week I was in Limerick, Ireland, attending a workshop. It was the tenth anniversary for MACSI (Mathematics Applications Consortium for Science and Industry), an industrial mathematics group. I was quite impressed by this group. A former PhD student of mine, Iain Moyles, is a post-doc there and he got the invitation for me based on my own industrial mathematics activity in modelling electrochemical systems. I stayed at Kilmurry Lodge, which had the best breakfast buffet I have ever had. Irish bacon - yum! Below is the view from my room, and Iain and I on the fancy foot bridge that connects the two halves of the University of Limerick campus across the River Shannon. 


I arrived fighting the tag end of the flu, so with jet lag added to the mix, I was not up to much. Iain did take me to Blarney Castle and I kissed the stone and we enjoyed walking the grounds. 



I did do some work, too!



My hotel room was large and a bit old-fashioned (in a good way) but the bathroom was modern. It had one of those bathroom clothesline things I haven't seen in a while. Whenever I get an apartment where I can add things without losing my damage deposit, I am going to put one of these in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment