Friday, December 30, 2016

West End conditions poor predictors for cycling to UBC

I came into work today. Let's say light work, as I only have a couple of things I "have" to do. I was supposed to take my daughter out to lunch but she is stuck at the house with the flu. I was going to show her the pottery studio at UBC that she is thinking of joining next term. I'll still take a break during the day and go over to the studio and make something. Starting the day with a break to make this post... maybe I can avoid working altogether!

I was in Ireland during the first snow we had here and when I got back it was clear in the West End where I am living now, and I thought it was fine to cycle into work at UBC. Luckily, I can see UBC from my apartment window (I do love my view) and the West Side hill was covered in snow, so I knew to take transit.

It has been clear in my neighbourhood again for a few days with rain and temperatures above zero. I was happy to cycle in today, first time in several weeks. It was even not raining! Probably should not have, as the conditions are still icy as you come up the UBC hill. Interesting how that little bit of a change in elevation makes such the difference.


I'll have to be more careful about checking conditions for cycling in the winter. In my old neighbourhood, I could go out the front door (North facing) and check the front walkway for ice. That was a good predictor for the worst conditions on my route.

No comments:

Post a Comment