Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Recommendation: Burning Wheel

I was a gamer (role playing games and wargames, the hexagon map kind) as a kid. In terms of role playing games, I played Tunnels and Trolls, Dungeons and Dragons, Traveller (never did see how those rules could be playable), and GURPS. As an adult, I had many years playing Champions, a extension of the Hero system for the superhero genre. I have toyed on and off over the years developing my own system, with a combat component that can independently be for technical duels like the old Melee game, the precursor to GURPS. Cards are used to represent the characters and equipment, because I like the idea of the art and flavour text of cards from Magic the Gathering (which I still play regularly). Maybe someday I will "finish" that and it will be my ticket to fame and fortune.

In terms of games that motivated me to think about how to encourage good role-playing (collaborative story-telling in the framework of the game), I was really impressed by Burning Wheel. This is a fantasy system, but there is a sci-fi version called Burning Empires as well, in a universe similar to the one in the Firefly TV series. There is a free pdf download for Burning Wheel at the site link above, called "Hub and Spokes" if you want to check it out. If I were ever to game again (and I just need the time and the right group) I would try out this system.

No comments:

Post a Comment