Sunday, January 17, 2016

Two terrible TV shows I felt compelled to watch last year

I watched both of these while I was on a longer research trip to Barcelona last Fall. I had a lot of free time on my hands, or at least that is my excuse for watching such terrible shows.

The first one I'll describe is the most terrible. It is "The Arrow". The acting is terrible, the writing is terrible and the characters are not likeable. While two of them are talking and the first is telling the other about some deep, emotional issue, the second will break off to answer a text. Didn't their mothers teach them any manners? The answer is no: in fact the mother of two of the characters behaved in exactly that way, too (until she died). Although it is a standard trope in the super hero genre to have characters make things worse by keeping secrets, these idiots just take things too far. Come on, just tell your father that your sister is dead rather than dress up in her hero costume and fight crime, without the assassin training she had. And yet, after all this, I felt compelled to watch it to the end of what was available on Netflix (to the end of season 3). I hope I can resist the temptation to watch season 4, which I see from web site has already begun.

The second terrible show is "Once Upon a Time".  I had watched the first three seasons previously, and the fourth while in Spain. The writing and acting are uneven and the characters also behave badly, but I actually quite like this show and will watch the next season (also already begun) on Netflix when it comes on. It has a certain charm. At its best, it reminds me of the book series, the Enchanted Forest Chronicles, by Patricia C Wrede (now that would make a good TV miniseries). At worst, Once Upon a Time reminds me of The Arrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment