Sunday, May 22, 2016

East Lansing Art Festival

This weekend the East Lansing Art Festival http://www.elartfest.com/#intro is taking place. This is one of the highlights of my annual visits to East Lansing, and I went yesterday to look at what was there this year. There are two sides to the Fair: the South Side is more inexpensive "crafts" and the North side is more expensive "arts". The main street, Grand River, divides the two sides.

On the craft side, I picked up a couple of T-shirts. The one on the left is from Full Ark [sic] Tees. He had some great designs. Unfortunately, from the link above he does not seem to ship to Canada. The one of the right is from a nameless tie-dye stall. This group really has my tastes pegged, and the shirts are very cheap. There are other tie-dye stalls at the festival that are much more expensive with boring designs - I don't know why anyone goes to them.


Also on the South side there was a woodworker, Jerry Neikirk, that had some great work. The stitch puller and the ice cream scoop below are from him, and he had some wooden pens that I also thought about getting. The bowl below is the only thing I got from the North Side. It was from Autumn Aslakson. I had bought a bowl from her last year, similar design but different shape. I had hoped to get a coffee mug in this design, but did not like the shape of her mugs (please read this without putting extra meaning into that comment). I must be picky about mugs, because I didn't really see any at the festival that worked for me. I just picked up one at the local second hand store afterwards. 


If I had unlimited money and was setting up a household, I would get some serving dishes from Robin Kittleson and some of the metal art by Cherie Haney. Oooh, nice stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment