Thursday, May 26, 2016

Prog Rock: goes deeper than I thought, The Light by Spock's Beard is pretty good

I am a big fan of Progressive Rock, although where Prog Rock ends and Psychedelic, Space or Symphonic Rock begin is beyond my meagre understanding of music genre subtlety. I really like Yes, in fact they are my favourite band. In terms of things labelled as Prog Rock, there is a sharp drop-off to King Crimson and Genesis but I still like some of their tunes. Hawkwind is also on my radar, but mostly because of the involvement of writer Michael Moorcock rather than for their musical talent. As I have entered the realm of music streaming services, I have discovered the genre is deeper, lasted longer, and was developed in more countries than I knew. From Google Music, I found the bands Os Mutantes, Premiata Forneria Marconi, and Locanda Delle Fate with some great Prog Rock tracks. From iMusic, I just found the band, Spock's Beard. So, great name! The album, The Light, could end up being a favourite. It is available in iTunes, with the usual bonus track that no-one wanted. I suggest giving it a listen - and I don't get a commission - honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment